Because both marijuana, which contains the psychoactive compound THC, and CBD oil, which contains cannabidiol but does not contain any THC other than occasional trace amounts, are derived from hemp plants, many people worry that their use of CBD oil products may show up on an employer’s drug test. The simple answer is that it almost certainly won’t, because drug tests are specifically testing for THC, not CBD. There are, however, some key facts you should be aware of if you are taking CBD oil supplements and expect to have to take a drug test for any reason.
- Most employers follow the guidelines set by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- If you test positive on your initial drug test, another one will be conducted in order to eliminate the likelihood that it was a “false positive” result.
- The cutoff level for testing positive as designated by SAMHSA for THC is 50 nanograms per milliliter of urine.
- The follow-up test that is conducted is a more comprehensive gas chromatography and mass spectrometry test, which only looks for the 11-nor-THCCOOH metabolite.
- The cutoff level for testing positive as designated by SAMHSA for the second drug test is 15 nanograms of the 11-nor-THCCOOH metabolite per milliliter.
- 20% of any THC you ingest will be present in your urine over the course of five days.
- You could ingest 0.2 mg to 0.5 mg of THC within a five-day period and still be within the safe range based on the normal excretion rate of THC.
- Hemp may possibly contain from 1/10th to 1/300th of the THC concentration found in regular marijuana.
- Industrial hemp sold legally in the United States contains has about 0.3% THC concentrations or less.
- It would take consuming as much as 1000-2000 mg each day of hemp oil in order to potentially ingest 3-6 mg of THC.
- This exceedingly high dose could then, possibly, result in a positive urine screen in approximately 11% to 23% of initial tests.
- Those consuming recommended doses of legal hemp or hemp-derived CBD oil do not run any risk of testing positive for THC.
- If you ingest no more than 180 mg of hemp oil daily at the maximum of 0.3% THC concentrations, you are still safe from testing positive.
All of the CBD oil products we offer at CBD Oil Empire contain 0.3% or less of THC. Visit our website to learn more today!